owdy. I'm a site topic engineer, and my customer's web store is utilizing a WordPress module that synchronizes information between the web server and QuickBooks Premier 2017 on their office work area. The module creates a .qwc petition for use with Intuit's Web Connector, and it's been working fine for a long time, up until a week ago.
It began creating error QBWC1012 when Web Connector ran. From the Web Connector log, "Verification bombed because of following error message. Customer discovered reaction content kind of 'content/html; charset=UTF-8', however expected 'content/xml'."
I created another .qwc document/application with the module, expelled the old application in WC and added this new application to WC. It quit producing QBWC1012, yet now creates errors QBWC1085 Error, neglecting to try and add the application to WC. From the Web Connector message onscreen, "couldn't check the web application server authentication."
I discovered a few hints online for tending to this issue. I've reset Internet Options on the work area. I had a go at running WC with both the firewall and antivirus on the work area killed. I refreshed Web Connector too. No change, it keeps producing error QBWC1048 and 1051 at this point. And furthermore, the site's SSL testament is fine and has not been changed since last July.
My doubt would be the module, with the exception of's fascinating that a similar error is created when I attempt the test qwc application from Intuit's own particular web help (when you click Troubleshooting in WC). This persuades it's an issue kept to the work area, for example, a security program blocking WC some way or another, however as I specified I disabled everything and still I get this error.